Monday, November 21, 2011

Is it alright to eat the brown skin on a baked potato?

I'm not asking about the red potatoes or white skinned potatoes. My friend and I were debating whether it's alright to eat the skin on one of those large brown russet potatoes. I was always raised to avoid the skin, but just recently my friend told me he eats the skin. I have heard that since they are gown in the ground and the pesticides farmers use sink into the soil; inevitably sinking into the potato's skin, is it worth the risk to eat the entire potato?Is it alright to eat the brown skin on a baked potato?
Sure -- the entire thing is edible. At home or at a restaurant, just make sure the skin is scrubbed well. When I worked at a hospital, we used to run teh potatoes thru the dish machine before baking! :-)Is it alright to eat the brown skin on a baked potato?
I personally think that's the best part! Just make sure you scrub them off well before baking. Then I rub a little bit of butter on the skin, sprinkle with a tiny bit of sea salt, and wrap in foil before putting in the oven. Don't forget to pierce the skin in a couple places before putting in the oven, otherwise, you have potatoes exploding all over ICK!
Yes, you can eat it.





Many restaurants actually serve mashed potatoes with the (brown) skins included.





If you're scared of pesticides, then really, you shouldn't eat anything that grows in the ground, or is raised on a farm, including beef, chicken, pork, turkey, and even soy.
Yes you can eat the brown skin. Make sure to wash the potatoe before cooking, but the skin is full of fiber and vitamins. I eat them everytime I have a baked potatoe!
Absolutely! Just be sure to wash it thoroughly before you cook it!
Best part of the potatoe is the skin - eat it all......
If you buy organic potatoes you will not have to worry about any chemicals. You should still wash your potatoes well and you will enjoy eating a well baked peel. They are very tasty. They have a lot of nutrients in them too. One thing you do want to avoid are green spots on potatoes. They are toxic and come from potatoes that are to shallow in the soil and exposed to light while growing. All you have to do then is peel the green part off, the rest is still fine to eat. More then you wanted to know, sorry couldn't help but add a little extra.
Yes, %26amp; I recall that it is also very nutrient rich. It should be washed ahead of time, though. Enjoy!
It's actually better for you to eat the skin, its like the whole kiwi thing, some people eat it, others don't. It's an acquired taste, however you do get more protein from the potato and it tastes better than the kiwi. haha. I like the skin, I recommend eating it.
your only going to eat one , so i would not expect any harmful effects, maybe a sack full a day might
Of course! just remember to wash it first. We used to scoop out most of the pulp, put a pat of butter in, and eat it all the time. They're delicious.





It's true that a lot of pesticides are used on potato plants, because the plant parts get very damaged by bugs. I couldn't tell you if potatos can absorb the chemicals or not.





The skin is pretty much the only healthy part of a potato.
yes! my family just chops up the potatoes and mashes them and we eat the mashed potatoes with the skin (yes brown skinned potatoes)
wow, I can not even believe this question is being asked, frankly. Basically there is almost NO nutritional value in the rest of a potato (the white part) the part of the potato that has nearly all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals is what has color. I have never in my life understood people peeling potatoes. what a waste of time and of valuable food. in fact, what i usually say is peel the potato and throw away the white part.

No comments:

Post a Comment